Tag Archive: beagleboard


Cam-era Part II

First of all, a very happy New Year!

Right, now that we’re done with the niceties, moving on to the update, I have now managed to capture pictures from the camera through the USB cable on the beagleboard and transfer the images to my computer using a script running on the beagleboard. I use the gphoto2 command line interface and a simple hook script which rsync’s with a folder on my computer over the network. To avoid the password hassles I created a public key on the beagle and added it to the authorized_keys file in ~/.ssh/ (Of course there aren’t any security issues – Only I use the beagleboard)

However, the delay between consecutive pictures is quite significant (I timed it to ~3.6 seconds between snaps) and it is to be seen whether it would be adequate or not. (I feel that it won’t) I tried setting the mode to fixed aperture, landscape modes, etc. so that it doesn’t waste precious seconds on autofocussing, but no dice. Changing image resolution also didn’t help. So the only alternative seems to take pictures in burst mode and then transferring them. The trigger will have to be done via video(?), and there will be a massive delay between consecutive burst pics. The low resolution for such pictures isn’t too good a thing either. Another mode that the camera supports is a 5 second continuous shot buffer, but it is still to be seen if I can access the buffer on the fly (It seems unlikely though)

So, as matters ┬ástand, unless a DSLR is used, it’s going to be tough trying to get high resolution snaps at short time intervals. Sad, but anyway, let’s save the verdict for the flight test.

Advertisements

Bugling the Beagle

The BeagleBoard’s here! Finally! So, after a day of messing around with the board, and trying to figure out how it worked, I am now, typing this very first blog post from within the Angstrom distribution loaded on the board! Woot!

In other related news, we had our first flight test this Saturday. The video feed was pretty good at 640×480, and the targets held up pretty well against the wind, contrary to ahem people’s expectations.Got a decent image of the star target, but the image quality in general was very poor. On switching to 1280 the video feed started lagging, and there was an issue with the antennas as well, so couldn’t test that thoroughly. However, it’s pretty evident that we need a better camera to get those stills. The Axis camera is just not making the cut – We couldn’t get it to focus at ~200ft, there is a LOT of spherical aberration, and the resolution wasn’t acceptable either. So, most probably we will be employing a still image camera in the next flight test, when we’ll couple the beagleboard to the camera.

One of the better captures on flyby

So, back to the Beagle Board.

Now, the very first thing was setting up minicom. That was pretty straight forward, and following instructions on the wiki, managed to get the serial comm working. Now the next part was checking the functioning of the board. So hooked up the null cable to the board, and connected it to a mini usb cable, and saw an entire boot up process, that eventually led me straight to a linux terminal (angstrom) over the minicom terminal. Encouraged by the result, I tried running it again with the display connected, only to be greeted by a Kernel Panic, and subsequent hung Uncompressing Linux… dialogs.

So, procured the MLO, u-boot and uImage files along with the Angstrom tarball from the Angstrom website. Formatted the SD card in the boot and ext3 partitions, copied the requisite stuff. Put everything together again and voila!

Points to be noted, then

  1. The default screen resolution is a VERY garish 640×480. It’s pretty exciting to look at initially, but is not workable. So, to go around this, after much searching, figured out that it is at the preboot stage (when the uLoader asks for a keypress to stop autoboot) that we assign the dvimode to the resolution of our requirement. So, it means a simple boot.scr (edited in vi) containing
    setenv dvimode 1024x768MR-16@60
    run loaduimage
    run mmcboot

    and you’re done!
  2. The SD Card reader jackets (the micro to SD card converters) are VERY unreliable. DO NOT trust them. Ever. Go ahead with the much simpler and reliable netconnect modems. If obtaining junk characters, check to see if the COM cable is tightly attached, and that the SD card has the MLO file, the uImage and u-boot.bin file in the boot partition.
  3. Plug the HDMI to DVI cable before plugging in the power. Also, get a power supply of 5V, and around 2A. An old Axis adapter fit the bill perfectly. Also plug in peripherals before plugging the power. The mini-USB cable is not really required then.
  4. Connecting the board to the network is easy enough. In the network connection applet, set the IPs manually, and set IPv6 to automatic. That gets the internet working.
  5. #beagle is your friend on freenode.

Now, as the beagleboard is up and running, the next task is to get opencv (and consequently the code) working on it. Hm. Also, will probably be looking at building customized boot images of Angstrom. Let’s see over the coming days.